Kootu or kuttu is a gravy side dish made with veggie and any dhal. For keerai kootu I prefer moong dhal as it blends well with spinach and you don’t need to pressure cook the spinach. Once the dhal is cooked, this kootu can be prepared within 15 minutes.
- Spinach – 1 packet (chop them roughly)
- Salt – as per taste
- Grounded black pepper – ½ tsp
- Tumeric powder – ½ tsp
- Moong dhal – ¼ cup
- Oil 1tsp
- Mustard seeds 1tsp
- Jeera 2 tsps
- Hing 1/2 tsp
Cocunut – 1/4 cup
Jeera – 1tbsp
Dried Red chillies – 3
- Grind coconut, jeera and dried red chillies into a smooth paster by adding water.
- Pressure cook the moong dhal and mash it well.
- Head the kadai and add oil.
- Once the oil is heated add mustard seeds, jeera and hing.
- Once they splutter add the chopped spinach.
- Add salt, tumeric powder and pepper.
- Don’t add any water, mix it well. Spinach gets cooked really fast and it lets out water by itself.
- After 3-4 minutes, add the moong dhal and mix it well.
- Add salt and grinded mixture.
- If you want thin consistency add more water, if not let it boil for 5 minutes and it is done.
Keerai kootu goes well with vathal kulambu and rice or with rasam also.