This below combo will be typical daily menu in my house.
- Sambhar or Rasam (somedays both)
- Poriyal or Kootu
Porial is very simple and easy to make. Boil the veggie, temper it mustard seeds, urad dhal, channa dhal, for some veggies we add green chillies and for some its dried red chillies for spice. and finally add salt and coconut and thats it. It requires only less oil. Its a healthy option too. You can eliminate coconut and add onions instead. Here is beans poriyal recipe.
- Green Beans – 1/4 kg
- Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 2 tsps
- Hing – a pinch
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dhal – 1 tsp
- Channa dhal – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – a pinch
- Dried red chillies – 2 to 3 (as per taste) (split them into small pieces)
- Salt (as per taste)
- Curry leaves – 1/2 a strand
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Clean and chop the green beans.
- Heat the kadai and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds, urad dhal and channa dhal.
- When they start spluttering add dried red chillies and curry leaves.
- Now add hing and tumeric. Roast them for a minute.
- Add the beans and sprinkle the water. Add salt and mix well.
- Cover and cook it for 5-6 minutes.
- Mix it well, once the water(in any) is all evaporated add the coconut.
- Let it cook for couple minutes in low heat and thats it.