Ridge gourd chutney is yet another my favorite chutney. I love all these chutneys made with these vegetables. Usually they to this chutney with the peel of ridge gourd if they are tender. But when its hard to find the tender peels, I usually just use the pulp of this veggie and use it for the chutney. Its a simple chutney which goes well with rice, yogurt rice and also for idly, dosas.
- Ridgegourd – 1 cup (If skin is tender, no need to peel the skin)
- Red chillies – 3
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dhal – 3 tbsps
- Hing – 1 tsp
- Coconut – 1/4 (Optional)
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt – As required.
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size, if using paste 2 tsps
- Adding coconut gives unique flavor but its completely optional.
- Instead of Red chillies, you can also use green chillies.
- Make sure the ridge gourd is not bitter. If its bitter the chutney doesn’t come out well.