Lemon rice is a quick and flavorful variety rice recipe, which can be prepared easily especially on week days. It’s a great recipe for lunch box, potluck and picnics also. The secret ingredient in this recipe is the coconut oil. Yes, you read it right. The tempering with coconut oil adds a wonderful flavor to the lemon rice. Also I add loads of cilantro for more flavor. Here is the simple recipe which is a meal by itself.
- Juice of 1 medium sized lemon. (If the lemon is very tangy, juice of half a lemon is enough)
- Mustard Seeds (Kadugu) – 1 tsp
- Urad Dhal (Ulutham Parupu) – 2 tsps
- Channa Dhal (Kadalai parupu) – 2 tsps
- Green chillies – 2 (Finely chopped)
- Curry leaves – 1 strand
- Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Peanuts – 3 tbsps
- Cilantro – ¼ cup
- Salt – 2 tsp (as per taste).
- Uncooked Rice – 1 cup
- Cook rice as per your method (Pressure cooker, rice cooker or microwave) and set aside. Make sure the rice is non-sticky.
- Take kadai and add oil. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, urad dhal and channa dhal.
- As they start spluttering, add green chillies, turmeric and peanuts.
- Once the peanuts turn light brown in color, turn off the heat.
- Let it cool down and now add rice, either gingelly oil or coconut oil, salt and cilantro and lemon juice. Don’t mix right away, let it sit for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes mix them well. If you like more sour taste, add more lemon juice. Adjust lemon juice and salt according to your taste.
That’s it. Yummy lemon rice is ready. Serve hot with chips or pappad or fryums or with potato curry.