This week recipe for the CC Challenge is taken from one of the tamil magazine supplementary book. (Snegithi). I have already posted couple of recipes with horse gram – Horse gram rasam and sundal. Here is the chutney recipe with garlic. It seems like horse gram aids in weight loss and also helps to heal kidney ailments.
This spicy chutney along with garlic goes well with rice, idly and also I use it like spread for my sandwich. The coarse texture of this chutney makes it a good spread.
Without any delay here is the simple recipe,
- Horsegram / Kollu – ½ cup
- Tamarind – 1 small gooseberry size or if using paste 2 tsp
- Grated coconut – ¼ cup
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dhal – 2 tsps
- Garlic cloves – 5 -6
- Salt – 1 to 1.5 tsp (adjust according to taste)
- Red chilly – 4-5
- Oil – 2 tsps
- Water – 3 tbsps
- Heat the kadai and dry roast the horse gram / kollu without adding any oil till they turn red and set aside.
- In the same kadai heat 1 tsp of oil and fry the urad dhal and red chillies till they turn golden brown and set aside.
- Now in the same kadai fry the garlic and cook till they are tender. Add the tamarind and turn of the heat. (If you are using paste don’t need to add the tamarind) Adding the tamarind to the hot kadai helps to soften it a bit. But this step is optional.
- Let this mixture cool and grind them all together with salt and coconut by adding very little water. Not more than 3 tbsps.
- Now heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil and add the mustard seeds. As they start to splutter add it to the chutney.
That’s it yummy chantey is ready. Serve hot with rice and papad or with idly or like a spread.
Submitting this recipe for Cooking from Cookbook Challenge Group.