Kollu or Horsegram is one among the healthy grains / lentils family. As I mentioned in my rasam post it is very common ingredient in my native place. Kollu chutney / Thuvaiyal, Rasam, this sundal and just roasted kollu are very common recipes. Basically whenever I prepare kollu rasam, I make this sundal and vice versa. For the rasam you need just a handful of boiled horse gram but at least 2 cups of boiled horse gram water. So I always soak more horse gram and prepare these two recipes together.
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dhal – 1 tsp
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly – 1 or 2
- grated coconut – 3 tbsps
- Salt – as per taste
- Dry roast the horse gram and soak it water for overnight.
- Then pressure cook it for unto 3 whistles and let it cool down.
- Save handful of boiled kollu and the boiled water for rasam and use the remaining for the sundal.
- Heat the kadai and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, urad dhal, hing.
- Once mustard seeds splutter, break the red chill into small pieces and add them.
- Let it splutter for a minute and then add the boiled dhal.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Let it cook for 2 mts and then add the grated coconut.
- Readuce the heat and mix well.. thats it kollu sundal is ready.
This is great snack and also you can try this as one of the sundal for navratri.