Restaurant style pizza at home, yes today I am going to share how to prepare California Pizza Kitchen (CPK) style Wild Mushroom Pizza – a thin crust pizza loaded with different varieties of mushrooms and cheese. Check out the detailed recipe with step-wise pictures and also the alternatives for cheese and mushroom varieties.
I am presenting you today – The combined goodness of lentils, vegetables, potatoes, and cheese. It is the vegetarian version of the Shepherd’s Pie aka the lentils and veggie shepherd’s pie. This kid-approved classic casserole dish is a perfect vegetarian main course meal. The process might sound lengthy, but you can do a lot of things in parallel or make ahead too. Check out my detailed post below for those options and also for the step by step pictorial recipe.
Get your daily dose of valuable nutrients with these delicious Roasted Brussel Sprouts with honey and Balsamic Vinegar with a generous drizzle of sesame seeds. This roasted Brussels sprouts is a perfect vegetarian side for any parties be it Thanksgiving or Christmas. Check out the detailed recipe with step by step pictures below.
For the alphabet S, I am going to present Snicker Doodle Cookies from Germany. I usually write down the recipe list for my entire mega marathon and the first one that I wrote was “S for Snicker Doodle Cookies.” This soft and chewy cinnamon flavored cookie is a treat for everyone. Even the non-sweet tooth person like me can gobble these cookies anytime, and I love this especially with milk. Ok, let’s blame it on the cinnamon. :-)
I love fruit based desserts and I have mentioned it in my blog many times. Here is one such simple fruit based dessert – Apple Brown Betty. Interesting name huh? The name and the recipe are quiet interesting and the highlight is – this is super easy to prepare. Even though this recipe involves baking, there is no mixing, no accurate measuring etc. All you need to do is chop, layer, drizzle and bake.
We are in the fourth week of this month’s blogging marathon. This week’s theme is “Breakfast from different countries”. This is yet another difficult theme for me as I had to look for eggless recipes. But then when I was looking at our typical breakfast I realized that we are having breakfast from different countries each day. :-) Waffles which is a typical Canadian breakfast is kiddo’s favorite. Our weekend Pancakes from US is everyone’s favorite. Of course I can’t skip our Poha and Idly and Dosa from our own country. The oats porridge that I take daily is a Scotland’s favorite breakfast recipe. Our yet another treat French Toast is an European favorite. See I am done with my 5 days recipe. ;-) The sixth one is going to be a secret.
So let me start with typical US breakfast – the famous Pancakes. Everyone in US would visited IHOP (International House of Pancakes). Pancakes loaded with syrup and orange juice.. yum yum yum..
Here is my eggless fluffy pancake recipe,
- All Purpose Flour -1 cup
- Sugar – 2 tsps
- Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Milk – 1 cup (I used 2 %)
- Water – 1 tbsp
- vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Oil / Oil spray for preparing pancakes + 1 tbsp
- a pinch of salt
- Mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon powder, baking powder and the pinch of a salt.
- Now add the wet ingredients slowly. Vanilla Extract, Milk, Water and Oil and mix well.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Now heat the tawa or pan and spray it with oil.
- Add a ladle full of the pancake batter in the pan.
- Let it cook for a minute till the color changes. It will start forming bubbles on the surface and slowly puff up.
- Now flip it and cook the other side for 30 secs.
That’s it. Pancakes are ready. Enjoy it with your favorite fruit and syrup.
- You can replace APF with wheat flour.
- Add fruits of your choice and make it more healthier.
Sending this entry for Valli’s breakfast event.
In US when you order a kids meal you this apple sauce along with the meal in a small bowl. I don’t know if the kiddo likes it or not but I love it. Its perfect food for kids from age 6 months or 5 years. A great way to give apples to kids. You can make this sauce without adding any other ingredients and use it for baking as an egg substitute. Instead of apples you can use pears and make pear sauce too.
I usually go with Gala or red apples for making this sauce. I haven’t tried this with green apples or honey crisp. I am sure any variety of apple would work as we cook them completely. All we have to do is chop the apples and cook them along with some sugar and cinnamon and puree them or mash. Simple and yummy apple sauce is ready within 15 minutes.
- Red Apples - 2
- Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar - 2 tbsps. (Adjust according to the sweetness of the apple)
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Salt - a pinch
- Peel the apple skin and chop into small pieces.
- In a pan add these apples and 1/2 cup of water.
- Let it cook for unto 10 minutes and then add the cinnamon powder and sugar.
- Let it cook for another 5 to 10 minutes or until the apples becomes tender.
- Now allow it cool. Either mash it nicely with a potato masher or puree it in a blender.
- That’s it simple and yummy apple sauce is ready.
- Instead of plain sugar you can also use jaggery or palm sugar.
- You also skip sugar and add maple syrup to enhance the flavor.
- Combine one apple and one pear to make yet another flavorful sauce.
The word “Burger” originated from the work “Hamburger” which in turn derives from a German word called Hamburg. Burger means different varieties of sandwiches. Burgers made their way into the USA with the help of Fletcher Davis who sold Burgers in his cafe at Texas during 1880s. But other merchants and residents in New York, Wisconsin and Oklahoma and Ohio also helped to spread the burger in the USA. Slowly it started to spread and now burger is one the most popular fast food in US with zillions of variations.
Can my blog be complete without a burger recipe? No way… I have tried many burger recipes and here in US you get a wide variety of vegetarian burgers with patty and without patty, with this sauce and with that sauce. When I say burgers the next thing that comes into our mind is the fries. (Let’s forget about the soda) Burger and Fries is one among the popular food combo in the US. My favorite burger joint is In and Out. Love their fries and the grilled cheese burgers with soft buns.
So for today’s recipe I went with a burger without patty and instead of frying the potatoes I went with baking them. I love mushrooms and especially the big portobellos. They are perfect for burgers. Their earthy flavor goes well with buns and other sauces. So here is the simple recipe that I tried.
Baked Portobello Mushrooms:
- Portobello Mushrooms – 3
- Ketchup – 3 tbsps
- Balsamic Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Mayonnaise – 4 tsps (1 tsp for one burger)
- Honey Mustard – 4 tsps (1 tsp for one burger)
- Lettuce leaves – as required
- Tomatoes – 4 slices
- Cheese slices of your choice – 4
- Soft Burger Buns – 4
Preparing the mushrooms:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree F.
- Clean and slice the Portobello mushrooms.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and ketchup and mix well.
- Bake them for up to 15-17 mts.
- Let them cool.
Arranging the burgers:
- Split the buns and arrange them in your counter top.
- Now apply 1 tsp of mayo on one part and do the same for all 4 buns.
- Then apply 1 tsp of honey mustard on the other part and do the same for all buns.
- Now arranged the baked mushrooms in one half.
- Next stack up the lettuce, tomatoes and cheese in the other half.
- Now bring the buns together and close them.
- Keep them in the oven in the warm mode till the cheese melts or you can do in the stove top also. Place these buns in the tava in medium heat and let the cheese melt. (You can skip this option too if your mushrooms are hot enough to melt the cheese)
That’s it yummy burgers are ready.
Please find the baked french fries recipe here.
- I have skipped onions but you can always add on onions, pickles, sweet cucumbers or any other veggie combination that goes well with mushrooms.
- The cheese doesn’t need to melt. It’s optional and you can skip the last step also.
- For the fries instead of Julienne cut, you can go for wedges too.
- Instead of chopping the mushrooms you can go for whole ones too.
French Fries – No one can eat just one :-) I love both potato and sweet potato fries. This is one of the perfect sides for Burgers. Be it Burger King or McD or In and Out, when you order the burger you get fries as a side. For the today’s international combo I am going with baked fries and burger instead of regular fried fries.