The word “Burger” originated from the work “Hamburger” which in turn derives from a German word called Hamburg. Burger means different varieties of sandwiches. Burgers made their way into the USA with the help of Fletcher Davis who sold Burgers in his cafe at Texas during 1880s. But other merchants and residents in New York, Wisconsin and Oklahoma and Ohio also helped to spread the burger in the USA. Slowly it started to spread and now burger is one the most popular fast food in US with zillions of variations.
Can my blog be complete without a burger recipe? No way… I have tried many burger recipes and here in US you get a wide variety of vegetarian burgers with patty and without patty, with this sauce and with that sauce. When I say burgers the next thing that comes into our mind is the fries. (Let’s forget about the soda) Burger and Fries is one among the popular food combo in the US. My favorite burger joint is In and Out. Love their fries and the grilled cheese burgers with soft buns.
So for today’s recipe I went with a burger without patty and instead of frying the potatoes I went with baking them. I love mushrooms and especially the big portobellos. They are perfect for burgers. Their earthy flavor goes well with buns and other sauces. So here is the simple recipe that I tried.
Baked Portobello Mushrooms:
- Portobello Mushrooms – 3
- Ketchup – 3 tbsps
- Balsamic Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Mayonnaise – 4 tsps (1 tsp for one burger)
- Honey Mustard – 4 tsps (1 tsp for one burger)
- Lettuce leaves – as required
- Tomatoes – 4 slices
- Cheese slices of your choice – 4
- Soft Burger Buns – 4
Preparing the mushrooms:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree F.
- Clean and slice the Portobello mushrooms.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and ketchup and mix well.
- Bake them for up to 15-17 mts.
- Let them cool.
Arranging the burgers:
- Split the buns and arrange them in your counter top.
- Now apply 1 tsp of mayo on one part and do the same for all 4 buns.
- Then apply 1 tsp of honey mustard on the other part and do the same for all buns.
- Now arranged the baked mushrooms in one half.
- Next stack up the lettuce, tomatoes and cheese in the other half.
- Now bring the buns together and close them.
- Keep them in the oven in the warm mode till the cheese melts or you can do in the stove top also. Place these buns in the tava in medium heat and let the cheese melt. (You can skip this option too if your mushrooms are hot enough to melt the cheese)
That’s it yummy burgers are ready.
Please find the baked french fries recipe here.
- I have skipped onions but you can always add on onions, pickles, sweet cucumbers or any other veggie combination that goes well with mushrooms.
- The cheese doesn’t need to melt. It’s optional and you can skip the last step also.
- For the fries instead of Julienne cut, you can go for wedges too.
- Instead of chopping the mushrooms you can go for whole ones too.