I know its easy to make curd rice. Just mix curd and rice that’s it. But there is more to it. Nothing can beat the taste of curd rice prasadam given in temple. I know I can’t make it the same way, but my way of making curd rice is as below:
Cooked rice – 1 cup
Curd – 3/4 cup (not too sour)
Milk – 1/4 cup
Sour Cream – 1/4 cup (optional)
Grated carrots – 1/4 cup (optional)
Grated raw mango – 1/4 cup (optional)
Chopped Cilantro – 3 tbsps
Grated ginger – 2 tsps
Salt – 1/2 tsp (adjust according to the sourness of the curd)
Oil – 2 tsps
Green chillies – 2 (Chop them finely)
Heeng – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 strand
- Mix rice, curd and milk nice. I always use my hands to mix them well.
- Now add salt, grated carrots, mango,cilantro and ginger and mix well. (If I have carrots and mango I use them. Tempering is the key part here, so even without veggies, the curd rice will be great)
- Now mix the sour cream. Sour cream is optional. I know some of my friends use butter when they using hot rice. Somehow I don’t prefer butter in curd rice.
- Now do the tempering separately and add it to the mixed rice. Heeng is another key ingredient which gives unique taste to the curd rice.
- I din’t use any fruits here, its just me and my taste preference. But you can add chopped grapes and pomegranates too.
- Also adding sour cream gives a rich and creamy texture.