Idli, Dosa, Paratha and Soups are great for sneaking in veggies and greens. Here is one such recipe – Vallarai Keerai dosai. Vallarai keerai dosai is prepared with regular dosa batter which is then mixed with the Vallarai puree and the flavors are enhanced with onions, cumin and black pepper corns.
- Dosa Batter – 4 cups
- Celery – 10 stalks
- Half of one medium sized onion
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsps
- Pepper corns – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp (adjust according to your taste)
- Oil – for preparing dosa.
- Boil the 5 cups of water and meanwhile you can do the chopping.
- Clean the Celery stalks and chop them into small cubes.
- Chop the onion finely.
- Once the water starts to boil, add the chopped celery cubes and let it cook for 4-5 minutes. (This blanching process makes the celery soft and easy to grind.)
- Let the celery cool and grind them into fine puree.
- Add the celery puree, chopped onions, cumin seeds and pepper corns to the batter and mix well.
- Heat the tawa and spread one ladle full of batter and spread it nicely. (More you spread more crispy the dosa)
- Apply oil around the edge and let it cook for a minute.
- Now flip the dosa and let it cook for a minute.
- As I got used to the taste of celery, I went with 10 stalks. You can try with 5 or 6.
- If you are serving for kids, instead of pepper corns you can add pepper powder too and sprinkle some cheese on top. Kids would love celery cheese dosa.
Adai – Aviyal one of the best combo available in tiffin items. Adai is the lentil dosa prepared with rice, toor dal, channa dal along with urad dal and spiced up with chillies. I like to eat adai with honey and my husband with jaggery and ghee. No matter what your side dish is, adai is yummy and healthy by itself. It belongs to dosa family and it includes toor dal and channa dal making it comparatively healthier than dosa.