As a part of the postpartum recipes, the second recipe that I am going to share is spinach butter milk sambhar. In this dish we use white pepper, instead of black pepper. White pepper is really mild when compared to black pepper. Again instead of coconut, we use daliya here. I love this kuzhambu very much and every other day my MIL used to make this and even now I make it for a change.
Here are the ingredients:
- Salt – 1.5 (as per taste of the butter milk)
- Butter milk – 2 cups (not too sour)
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Spinach – 1 bunch
- Regular Oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Methi seeds (vendiyam) – 1tsp
- Heeng 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 strand
- White pepper – 1 tbsp
- Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Kadalai paruppu / channa dhal – 1 tsp
- Dhaniya – 1/2 tsp (Just for aroma)
- Daliya – 1 tbsp
1) Grind the given ingredients under grinding into smooth paste by adding water.
2) Add the grinder mixture to the butter milk. Also add salt and turmeric powder. Keep aside.
3) If you use vegetables like pumpkin, squash, chow chow boil them before hand.
4) Heat the kadai and add oil.
5) Once the oil is heated add mustard seeds, methi and heeng.
6) Once they splutter add the spinach and sauté them.
7) Once they are half cooked, add the butter milk mixture.
8) Add curry leaves and let it simmer for 8-10 minutes.
Serve hot with rice.
Submitting this post for Blogging Marathon #43 – A 3 day marathon for 4 weeks
Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#43