A short break for Diwali snacks and sweets. What do you do during a movie break? But some popcorn and start the movie again right? I am doing the same thing too. A Popcorn Break today.
When you are watching a movie you need something to munch and sip. What’s better than homemade popcorn? Theatre or home, Tea or soda – popcorn goes well with any combo. This recipe is called Popcorn Ole. It seems it is a very popular Mexican street food. It pretty much has all the flavors. Tangy, spicy and creamy with a bit of sweet – oh yum.
I learnt this recipe from my colleague and we tried this at our workplace too. (Err as I mentioned before we have a fully furnished kitchen with essential pantry items and other equipment too including popcorn popper) It was a great snack and I wanted to try it right away at home too. But then I don’t have popcorn popper at home. So I thought of popping it in the regular stove top way. So here is the simple and delicious popcorn ole recipe. The highlight was kiddo loved it to the core. I thought he might not be ok with the spice but he was all up for it.
I used the organic pop corn kernels from Costco. Also I made this spice mix in bulk. It can be used for any other salads or pasta recipes too.
For the spice mix:
- Salt – 4 tsp
- Paprika – 3 tbsps
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Cayenne – ½ tsp
Now mix all this and store in an air tight container. Viola your spice mix is ready.
You can read about the difference between cayenne and paprika here.
- Popcorn Kernels – ¾ cup (It yielded approx. 4 cups of popcorn)
- Coconut oil – 1 tsp (you can use any other oil of your preference)
- Heat a 3 quart (so that the kernels have room for popping) in medium heat.
- Add the oil and once the oil is hot add the kernels.
- Shake them nicely every now and then and when they start to pop close the pan with the lid.
- Once the popping sounds stops turn off the heat and transfer the popcorn.
For 4 cups of popcorns this is what I used,
- Spice mix – 2 tsps.
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Mayonnaise – 1 tbsp
- Dash of lime juice
- Right after you transfer the popcorn, add the butter and mayo so that the butter melts easily.
- Add the spice mix and toss them together.
- That’s it. Popcorn ole is ready. Enjoy it with your favorite movie.