Oh yeah, you read it correct. Paruppu vadai without onion. TamBram style vadai, especially made for neivediyams on vratham and nonbu days. This is the vadai that I made for Garuda Panchami, Varalakshmi Vratham and will making for Gowri nonbu and also for Vinayaka Chaturthi. Only for saraswati pooja, we can do uluda vadai (Urad dhal vadai) without onion. So here comes the recipe.
- Channa dhal (Kadalai Paruppu) – 1 cup
- Moong dhal (Pasi Paruppu) – 1/2 cup
- Rice – 1/4 cup.
- Urad dhal – 1 tbsp
- Toor dhal – 2 tsps
- Salt – 2 tsps (as per taste)
- Red chillies – 2
- Green chilly – 1
- Heeng – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Cilantro – Finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – roughly chopped – 1 tbsp
- Oil for frying
- Soak the dhals (channa,moong, urad and toor) along with rice and red chillies for about half an hour.
- Grind it along with green chilly, heeng, salt and turmeric powder.
- Don’t add too much water, just sprinkle water if required, while grinding.
- Now add the chopped cilantro and curry leaves to the mixture.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan.
- Once the oil is hot, take a small gooseberry size vadai mixture and spread it in your palm using little bit of water and slowly drop in the oil.
- (Precisely in tamil we say, Kaila thatti podaradu)
- I usually put 4 in one batch. After a couple of minutes, slowly turn them.
- Let them fry till they turn golden brown.
- And thats it. :-)
Crispy and yummy vadas are ready :-)
As you can’t taste them before neivediyam, I usually do 5-6 and after the pooja, I taste them and adjust salt if required and finish of the remaining batches.0