Diwali one of the most important festival of India, celebrated by every Indians. Festival means obviously lots and lots of food :-) I am gonna post what we usually cook for diwali festival.
Vellai appam will be usual breakfast in my house on diwali along with diwali legiyam.
Usually we prepare the batter overnight itself for allowing it to ferment.
- Raw rice [Patchai arisi] – 1/2 cup
- Urad dhal [Ulutham paruppu] – 1/2 cup
- (1:1 ratio of raw rice and urad dhal)
- For Tempering
- Ginger – small piece, finely chopped
- Green chillies – 2 medium size
- mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Pepper – 1tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Coconut – 3 tbsps
- Curry leaves – 2 strands
- Cilantro – 1 tbsp chopped (optional)
- Oil – for frying + 2 tsp for tempering
Preparing the batter:
- Soak rice and urad dhal separately for 2 hours.
- Grind them nicely and add salt as required.
- Let this batter get fermented for at least 3 hrs.
Adding the tempering and frying:
- Chop the green chillies and ginger finely.
- Heat small quantity oil for tempering.
- Once the oil gets heated, add the chopped ginger and chillies.
- Add mustard seeds,pepper and curry leaves also.
- As they start to splutter, add this mixture to the batter.
- Also add the grated coconut and cilantro if using.
- Now heat the oil for frying.
- Use deep rounded spatula for pouring the batter into the oil.
- Fry them till it becomes golden brown.
Yummy rice fryums are ready.Serve hot with coconut chutney.