Yay !!! Navratri Started. One of my favorite festival and I am looking forward for 10 days of fun and of course food. This time I kept my 5 step golu. (No more space constraints). I think I can attend garba this year. I missed last year, hopefully I can make it up this year. Here is my Golu. Starting the navratri festival with sweet kheer with moong dhal. As no moon day (amavasya) started this evening I kept my kalasam and my marapaichi bommai and that’s it my navratri began . This is what we did for neivediyam/prasadam today.
- Moong Dhal – 1/3 cup
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Elaichi Powder – 1 tsp
- Raisins – 1 tbsp
- Cashwes – 1 tbsp
- Ghee – for frying
- Water – 1.5 cups
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Heat a heavy bottomed vessel or pan and dry roast moong dhal until it turns red. (Don’t add oil or ghee).
- Once the moong dhal turns red add the water.
- Cook the moong dhal in 1.5 cups of water (adjust water as required) till it gets mushy.
- Mash the dhal well and it should get mixed well with the water.
- Now jaggery and elaichi powder.
- Once the jaggery melts completely add the milk.
- Let it simmer for two minutes and turn off the heat.
- In a separate tadka pan melt the ghee and roast the raisins and cashews.
- Add this roasted nuts to the kheer. (I usually skip this step to reduce some calories.. But I know this adds more taste to the kheer though)
That’s it. yummy moong dhal kheer is ready for neivediyam.0