Mixed/Variety rice are very easy to prepare in the morning and to pack for lunch. This recipe is given by my mother. It is a simple but a yummy dish.
I love this rice and during my school days, this was my lunch for most of the days. I can eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner too. :-)
Big Onion – 1 (chop in length wise)
Oil – 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1tbsp
Fennel seeds – 1 to 2 tbsp (Saunf)
Green chillies -3 Finely chopped (Adjust according to taste)
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp (I use the store bought one)
Salt – 2 tsp (Adjust according to taste)
Rice – 1 cup
- Cook the rice separately and keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, when mustard seeds splutter add fennel seeds.
- (This fennel seed is the key ingredient. It give a unique flavor to this dish.)
- Then add green chillies and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add onions, turmeric powder,garam masala and salt too.
- Fry well, till onion turns translucent.
- Then add the cooked rice and mix nicely!!!
Onion rice is ready!!! Serve with raita