One of my favorite vegetable from my childhood till date is brinjal. Love the stuffed brinjal or regular brinjal curry. I tasted bhaingan bharta for the first time when I was in college. Amma, usually does South Indian with brinjals. She chars them to make godsu but not bharta. For me charring the brinjal was difficult initially, but when I started using the oven, it became very simple and this dish became one of the staple dish in our house.
Also along with bhaingan, I add colored peppers and peas just to make the dish more colorful and flavorful. The sweet from the peppers gives a very nice flavor and texture. This dish takes some time but its totally worth the time.
- Medium size eggplant – 2
- Tomatoes – 4
- Colored bell peppers – 1/2 cup (I used red, orange and yellow peppers)
- Peas – 1/4 cup
- Red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Dhaniya powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Finely chopped Cilantro – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsps + 1 tbsp
- Salt – 2 tsps
- Set the oven in the broiling mode at high setting or Preheat the oven to 450 degree F in broil mode.
- Coat the eggplants with 2 tbsps of oil and broil them for about 40 minutes. Flip them in between once at around 20 mts.
- Let it cool.
- Peel the skin and mash the eggplant nicely.
- Heat the kadai and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and hing.
- As they start to splutter, add the chopped tomatoes, salt and turmeric powder.
- Cover and cook till they become soft.
- Now add the peppers and peas and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Now add the dry masalas – red chilly powder and dhaniya powder.
- Mix them well and cook till the oil seperates.
- Now add the mashed eggplant and mix well.
- Let it cook well for 4-5 minutes till the masala gets mixed and oil seperates.
- Add the chopped cilantro and serve hot with rice or roti.
If you want in gravy consistency, add water after adding the eggplant.
Submitting this post for Blogging Marathon #46 – A 3 day marathon for 4 weeks
Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging marathoner doing BM#46