Here I am with the Blogging Marathon group post. This is my other food bloggers group where we post recipes based on a theme for 3 days continuously for 4 weeks. This month I am planning to participate only for two weeks. So the next three recipes including today will be under the theme “Family Recipes”. I picked this theme because Amma is here is with me now and I learnt lot of family based recipes which I haven’t tried by myself. With Amma’s supervision this time I tried this by myself and here they are…
The first recipe that I am going to post is a super simple one. As we call it Sutta Katharikai pachadi or Roasted/broiled eggplant pachadi. In India, Amma used to roast it on stove top. You can roast it that or you can broil the way I did too. The burnt taste of brinjal mixed with curd and tadka is heavenly. This is a perfect side for sambhar rice or any variety rice. Amma said it goes well with Ven Pongal too but I haven’t tried that combo yet. :-)
Brinjal is one of my favorite veggie and I have posted a lot of brinjal recipes. Few of them are,
Here is the recipe,
- Medium Sized Eggplant – 1
- Yogurt/Curd – 1 cup
- Dried red chillies – 3 to 4 (adjust according to your taste preference)
- Salt – 1.5 tsps
- Hing – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 2 tsps
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Channa Dal – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 strand
- Oil – 2 tsps + 2 tsps
- Apply the 2 tsps of oil over the eggplant and broil in the oven on high mode for 40 minutes flipping it once at 20th minute.
- Or you can roast them over stove top too. Till the skin gets burnt and flesh inside becomes soft and tender.
- Let it cool, peel off the skin and mash the flesh nicely.
- Now add the curd and salt to the broiled eggplant and mix well.
- Now in a separate tadka pan heat the other 2 tsps of oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, red chillies broken into small pieces and hing.
- As they start to splutter add the curry leaves and turn off the heat.
- Now add this tadka to the eggplant curd mixture and mix well.
That’s it. The eggplant raita is ready. :-)0