My Paniyaaram Saga continues.. The proud DFT team brings the indulging dishes made in Appe/Paniyaram/Abelskiever Pan! Indulge with Appe/Paniyaram/Abelskiever Pan Goodness!
You can find my traditional sweet and savory paniyaarams in the below links.
This is yet another paniyaaram dish but with a twist to the traditional one. The batter is completely different. No Rice and No Urad dhal at all. I am using red poha/flattened rice, oats, quinoa, toor dhal, moong dhal and flax seeds.
I usually try adai with this mix but this time thought why not try paniyaaram?? I also added the veggies that I had in stock and eureka!!! Here is the multigrain paniyaaram with veggies. You can add any veggies that you have in hand. Its a filling and healthy meal/snack loaded with veggies and grains. You can serve this with the tomato onion chutney or with any spicy chutney that you like.
For the batter:
- Toor dhal – 1/4 cup
- Moong dhal – 1/4 cup
- Quinoa – 1/4 cup
- Red poha/flattened rice – 1/4 cup
- Flax seeds – 1/4 cup
- Regular Oats – 1/4 cup
- Water for soaking
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Soak all the grains and dhals in water for at least 4-5 hrs. (I let it soak for overnight, oats gets mushy but its ok)
- Wet grind them like idly dosa batter and add salt and mix well.
- Let it sit for 4 to 5 hrs.
For the Veggie Masala:
- Grated Carrot – 1/4 cup
- Grated Cauliflower – 1/4 cup
- Finely chopped half of medium sized onion.
- Chopped cilantro – 2 tbsps
- Red chilly – 1
- Green chilly – 1
- Curry leaves – 1/2 strand
- Oil – 2 tsps + making paniyaaram
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dhal – 1 tsp
- Channa dhal – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Heat the kadai and add 2 tsps of oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the mustard seeds, urad dhal and channa dhal.
- As they start to splutter add the curry leaves, the red chilly and the green chilly.
- Let it cook for a minute and then add the finely chopped onion.
- Cook till the onion turns translucent.
- Now add the grated carrot and cauliflower and cook for couple of minutes along with salt..
- Add the cilantro and mix well.
Thats it the masala for paniyaaram is ready. Now mix this with the batter.
Making the Paniyaarams:
- Heat the paniyaaram pan.
- Add little oil in each of the kuzhi’s or the holes.
- Fill 3/4th of the kuzhi’s with the batter. You need that space because the paniyaaram will rise.
- Allow it to cook for 1.5 to 2 minutes. (As this is multigrain, it does take some time)
- Using the paniyaaram stick, flip the paniyaarams and let it cook for 1 mt.
Thats it. Yummy Multigrain paniyaaram is ready.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or dietitian. My knowledge and information is based on my research and reading from different resources. Please consult your doctor or dietitian before making any changes to your diet.