I posted the sweet kuzhi paniyaaram in 2013 and I had this kaara paniyaaram in my draft for this long. I don’t know why I kept it this long but finally here it is coming out of my draft with new pictures. This week’s DFT is also a paniyaaram recipe so that also pushed me to get this out my draft. :-)
As I mentioned in the sweet kuzhi paniyaaram, the batter is same. I usually prepare the batter and use one half for sweet and the other half for savory. So here is the batter recipe again.
Ingredients for the batter:
- Raw rice (Patchai arisi) – 1 cup
- Boiled rice (Puzhungal arisi) – 1 cup
- Urad dhal – 1 cup
- Sago (Javvarisi) – 3 tbsps
- Methi seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tbsp
- Soak both the rice and urad dhal along with methi for 4 to 5 hrs.
- Soak sago for 30 to 45mts.
- Grind them together (idly consistency) and add salt.
- Let it ferment.
Ingredients for savory paniyaaram:
- Oil – 2 tsps + oil for making the paniyaarams
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dhal – 1 tsp
- Channa dhal – 1 tsp
- Cilantro finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – ½ a strand
- ½ of medium size onion finely chopped.
- Red chilly – 1
- Green chilly – 1
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Heat the kadai and add 2 tsps of oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the mustard seeds, urad dhal and channa dhal.
- As they start to splutter add the curry leaves, the red chilly and the green chilly.
- Let it cook for a minute and then add the finely chopped onion.
- Add the cilantro and salt.
- Cook till the onion turns translucent.
Thats it the masala for savory paniyaaram is ready. Now mix this with the batter.
Making the Paniyaarams:
- Heat the paniyaaram pan.
- Add little oil in each of the kuzhi’s or the holes.
- Fill ¾th of the kuzhi’s with the batter. You need that space because the paniyaaram will rise.
- Allow it to cook for 1 minute.
- Using the paniyaaram stick, flip the paniyaarams and let it cook for 1 mt.
Thats it. Yummy paniyaaram is ready. Serve it with your favorite chutney.