Welcome to the 2nd day of Baking Mania.
You can involve kids in kitchen for the prep work before baking. Its fun to work with them and it a great activity time too. It gives them the chance to understand what we do and to appreciate food. When they help to prepare food feeding the same becomes comparatively easy. Vaandu loves to help in kitchen. At times its so overwhelming and his help will cause me double the amount of clean up work. But I need to agree its a total fun. Mostly for all the cake and cookies he will be my sous chef. Here is a simple cake recipe from both of us :-)
For second day, I thought of posting basic sponge cake which forms the base for zillion other cake recipes like mango layered cake, Tres lesche etc. I learnt this recipe from Kamalika, one of the blogger from BM group. It’s a simple eggless sponge cake. I did make couple of variations. Instead of using plain yogurt, I used vanilla flavored yogurt and skipped using milk for brushing. This cake can be whipped up easily and its one of vaandu’s favorite. He can have this cake with whipping cream and fruits.
Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake
- Maida/All purpose flour – 1 .5 cups
- Vanilla flavored yogurt(Curd) – 1 cup (250 ml) (I used greek yogurt)
- Granulated Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder – 1 and 1/4 tsp
- Cooking oil – 1/2 cup (125 ml)Vanilla essence – 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
- Sieve maida twice and keep aside.
- Add the sugar and curd to the maida and mix them well.
- Add baking powder, baking soda to the creamed mixture and mix well. Set them aside for 5 minutes.
- Now add vanilla essence,cooking oil and mix well.
- Grease the cake pan and pour the mixture into it.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375 degree F for 10 mins, then reduce temperature to 350 deg F and bake it for 30-35 mins or till a fork inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool down for 10 mins, then invert
- That’s it. Yummy sponge cake is ready.