Chow-Chow / Chayote kootu (without coconut)
If you not a coconut person or if you want to reduce the intake of coconut and this is the best bet for you. In this kootu we substitute coconut with poppy seeds and daliya or chutney dhal. (pottu kadalai in tamil). It tastes really good and you wont miss coconut.
Chow-Chow – 2 number (chop into small cubes)
Salt – as per taste
Moong dhal – ¼ cup
mustard seeds 1tsp
Jeera 2 tsps
Heeng 1/2 tsp
Poppy seeds – 1 tbsp
Jeera – 1tbsp
Dried Red chillies – 3
Chutney dhal – 2 tbsps
- Grind poppy seeds, jeera, dried red chillies and chutney dhal into a smooth paster by adding water.
- Pressure cook the moong dhal and chow chow. ( 2 whistles is enough, we don’t want to over cook chow chow. The other option is pressure cook moong dhal alone and microwave chow chow for 12 minutes or steam cook it)
- Head the kadai and add oil.
- Once the oil is heated add mustard seeds, jeera and heeng.
- Once they splutter add the boiled chow chow.
- Add salt and let it simmer.
- After 3-4 minutes, add the moong dhal and mix it well.
- Now add the grinded mixture.
- If you want thin consistency add more water, if not let it boil for 5 minutes and it is done.
This goes well with plain rice and ghee or with sambhar rice.0