As part of gokulashtami dishes, I posted seedai yesterday and here is the second dish, thattai. Its again a savory one. The preparation is exactly the same. The only difference is we add ½ tsp of chilly powder to thattai whereas for seedai we don’t. For seedai, we roll them into round balls and for thattai (as name indicates, thattai means flat ones) we need to flatten them. Here is the recipe.
- Dry roast 1 cup of urad dhal till they turn golden brown and let it cool. Then dry grind them into a fine powder. This roasted urad dhal powder is required for muruku, thattai and also for seedai.
- Dry roast the rice flour for couple of minutes, this helps the thattai mixture to blend well , removes the raw smell of the store bought rice flour.
- Rice Flour : 1 cup (Stored bought, dry roast it )
- Urad dhal flour (Prepared as mentioned above) : 1 tbsp
- Jeera/Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- Heeng – 1 tsp
- White sesame seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Butter – 2 tbsps (At room temperature)
- Channa dhal – 2 tsps
- Water – 1 cup
- coconut oil – 3 tbsps
- Chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Oil for frying
- Soak the channa dhal in ½ cup of water for minimum 15 mts.
- Mix the rice flour, urad dhal flour, jeera, heeng, white sesame seeds, salt, butter and chilly powder together without any lumps.
- Now add the soaked channa dhal and knead the dough slowly.
- Sprinkle the half cup of water on needed basis and knead the dough.
- It should not stick to the vessel and knead the dough like a big ball.
- Make equal size balls out of the flour.
- Meanwhile heat the oil for frying.
- Grease either a zip lock bag or plantain leaf with coconut oil.
- Rub your palm with coconut oil and place the balls that you rolled from the dough in the zip lock bag and flatten the balls as thinly as possible.
- Once the oil is hot, you can fry them right away. (You don’t need to wait as in seedai)
- Its take about 4-5 minutes for the thattai to get cooked . Fry till the oil bubble sound stops. (In Tamil we say, ennai osai adangum varai)
- Let it cook down and thats it thattai is ready.