Next few recipes that I am going to post are given by my friends. We just love these dishes and we have tried so many times. Here is the first recipe given by my friend V. Back in India, my mom doesn’t cook mushrooms at home (Just like garlic). But me and dad usually try mushroom recipes in the restaurant. Mushroom gravy, mushroom dosa etc etc.
After coming to US , I started cooking mushrooms. I didn’t even realize there were many varieties in mushrooms. (Don’t laugh). I usually make mushroom gravy, or add it in kuruma or in pasta. There is only one variation from my friend’s recipe. She used puli kuzhambu powder, but I just went ahead with sambhar powder. It came out really well. Its a one pot dish and very easy to make. I prefer to do this in the morning so that I can pack for lunch. Preparation time is also very less.
Here is the recipe.
- White/Crimini mushrooms – 8oz
- Medium sized onion – 1
- Basmati rice – 1 1/2 cups (Rice of your choice)
- Salt – 2 tsps (adjust as per taste)
- Sambhar powder – 1 tbsp
- Pepper powder – 2 tsp (I don’t know what is the relation between mushroom and pepper, but mushroom doesn’t taste great without pepper)
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Finely Chopped Cilantro – 2 tbsps
- Water – 3 cups
- For tempering:
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Chop mushrooms and onions
- You can either cook the rice first and mix it with the mushroom mixture or cook the rice along with mushrooms.
- Heat the pressure pan/cooker or kadai and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- As they start to splutter, add onions and sauté them till they turn translucent.
- Now add mushrooms and turmeric powder. Sauté them for coupe of minutes.
- Add salt, sambhar powder and pepper powder and mix well. (If you have cooked the rice, sauté till all the water get absorbed and mix the rice)
- Add the rice and 3 cups of water. (Check for salt for salt, before closing the cooker)
- If you are using basmati rice, 2 whistles should be good enough or if you are using regular rice leave it for 3 whistles.