When you have loads of tomatoes but got tired of preparing tomato rice and tomato chutney, here is an unique and interesting recipe for you – Tomato Thokku or Tomato Pickle. I already posted mango thokku. So now its time for tomato thokku. This goes well with chapati, Idly, dosa and I like to have it along with rice also. :-) The preparation method is pretty much similar to mango thokku.
This doesn’t require grating. All you need to do is, chop the tomatoes and spice it up with red chilly powder and add other ingredients and cook till the water gets evaporated. It has pretty decent shelf life of unto 4 to 5 days when refrigerated.
- Ripe Tomatoes (medium size) – 5
- Mustard seeds : 2 tsps
- Vendiya podi / Methi powder / Fenugreek powder – 2 tsps
- Hing – 1 tsp
- Mustard seed powder / Kadugu podi(optional) 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 2tsps (according to taste)
- Salt – 1.5 tsps (as per taste)
- Oil – 3tbsps
- Chop the tomatoes. If the tomatoes are sour, adjust salt and chilly powder accordingly.
- Heat the kadai and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds. As they start to splutter add the methi powder and heeng.
- Let it fry for half a minute and then add mustard seed powder. (Mustard seed powder is just used for preservative purpose)
- Now add chopped tomatoes, salt and chilly powder.
- Mix it well and let it cook. (Do not cover). Let all the moisture to evaporate. (It might take unto 20 minutes for tomatoes, as tomatoes oozes lot of water.)
- Once the oil gets separated, turn off the heat.
Serve this with rice, roti, idly, dosa or with any tiffin.