Welcome to the 24th day of Baking Mania. When there is paneer recipe in the BM obviously there should be something with tofu too right?
Like every other people I do substitute tofu in place of paneer. But somehow I prefer tofu with Kung Pao or in this Teriyaki. M is the Kung Pao tofu specialist. Will post that recipe soon. Coming back to today’s recipe the base recipe is taken from “Peas and thank you” by Sarah Matheny. I received this book as my birthday gift from her. This is one of the cook books that I love and treasure. Its a simple recipe that goes well with noodles or fried rice or even with plain rice. You can red chili sauce to this but I am not adding. I just love the sour and sweetness of this dish. There is a soaking time for this recipe so plan accordingly.
Baked Teriyaki Tofu
- Extra firm tofu – 1 16oz box
- Soy Sauce – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/4 cup + 2 tbsps
- Mirin – 2 tbsps (If you don’t have mirin you can also use rice vinegar)
- Minced garlic – 1 tsp
- Minced ginger – 1 tsp
- Brown sugar – 4 tbsps
- Cornstarch – 1 tbsp
- Press the tofu and remove the excess water and cut them into cube sized pieces and place them in a shallow glass vessel.
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix the soy sauce, 1/4 cup of water, miring, garlic, ginger and sugar and microwave it for 3 minutes.
- Now in a separate bowl mix the cornstarch and 2 tbsps of water and add it to the soy sauce mixture.
- Again microwave it for 2 more minutes till it becomes thick.
- Now pour the 3/4 of sauce over the tofu and save the remaining 1/4 of sauce.
- Let the tofu marinate for 30 minutes at least. (Sometimes I have let it sit for even 8 hrs)
- Preheat the oven in the broil mode. Broil the marinated tofu for 7 minutes on each side till it becomes crispy.