If you notice in my blog, you can find only a handful of North Indian recipes. I don’t know why I kept it that way. In fact when I blogging via blogger I had quite a few dishes in my draft. Yes only in drafts ;-) I learnt all the North Indian recipes after coming to US only. I was little reluctant to post thinking if the dishes were all authentic as I modified a lot according to our taste. I didn’t get a chance to get back those at all. I think I need to start posting them one by one. So coming back to today’s recipe Rajma and Chawal (rice), it’s one of the classic North Indian Combo. Red kidney beans are loaded with proteins and also dietary fiber which makes is very healthy.
So I prepared this rajma gravy using my slow cooker. I am slowly progressing in trying out new dishes with my slow cooker. I am not exaggerating; it makes my life so simple. This is what I did for this recipe. Soaked 1 cup of rajma overnight and morning I added this soaked beans, onions, tomatoes and all the dry masalas including salt in my crock pot and added water. Then set it up at high mode for 7 hours. When I came back in the evening rajma was all done. All I need to do was to prepare rice.
Instead of plain rice I prepared brinji rice with bay leaves, crushed cardamom, cloves and cinnamon with a hint of mint leaves. I didn’t add any onions but you can always add onions and increase the quantity of mint leaves. That’s a yummy meal is all set and ready. Couple of my friends was asking if the slow cookers are available in India. I can see this kenwood brand available in Amazon India.
Safety Warning: As Rajma releases toxins when slow cooked please make sure you soak them properly and it is recommended to boil for 10 minutes
- Rajma / Red Kidney Beans - 1 cup
- Onion - 1
- Tomatoes - 3
- Cilantro - 2tbsps finely chopped
- Water - 5 cups
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Dhaniya Powder / Coriander Powder - 2 tbsps
- Red Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
- Kitchen King Masala - 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 2 tsps
- Hing - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tsps
- Salt - 2 tsps
- Soak the rajma beans for unto 8 hours or overnight.
- Chop the onions and tomatoes finely.
- Now add this soaked rajma, onions, tomatoes, cilantro and all the masalas in the crock pot.
- Add 5 cups of water and set the slow cooker in high mode and let it cook for 7 hours.
- After its done, mix and mash the dhal nicely.
- Now heat the kadai and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the cumin seeds and hing.
- As they start to crackle add them to the cooked rajma.
- Basmati Rice - 1 cup
- Mint leaves - 2 tbsps Finely Chopped
- Bay leaves - 3
- Cardamom - 3
- Cloves - 3
- Cinnamon - 1 inch stick
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Fennel Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Soak the basmati rice for 10 minutes.
- Crush the cardamom, cinnamon and cloves.
- Wash the rice and pressure cook it by adding 1.5 cups of water.
- Heat the kadai and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the bay leaves and fennel seeds.
- As they start to splutter add the crushed masala.
- Now add the mint leaves and salt.
- Let it cook for couple of minutes and turn off the heat.
- Now add the cooked rice and mix well.