Jhalmuri is a famous kolkatta street side snack and thought of making it when R’s mom posted it in Instagram for IMC. Its a simple snack but loaded with flavor and the masala mix is quite unique. Its basically a combination of puffed rice, cucumber, onion, tomatoes, peanuts and with its unique masala. Also you can add potatoes and sev to this recipe. As I wanted to reduce carbs I didn’t include potatoes and sev. With out these ingredients itself this recipe turned out good. You can use any sprouted beans that you have in hand to make it more healthy. The crunchiness of the sprouted beans with the soaked masala tastes really good. A great tea time snack. In the traditional recipe they use little bit of mustard oil. But as I didn’t use it though. (I know Kolkatta is famous for the use of mustard oil but errrr I skipped it. )
Here is the picture of Jhalmuri ingredients and the masalas.
Here is the simple Jhalmuri recipe,
Jhalmuri - Kolkatta Special
- Puffed Rice / Pori / Murmura - 2 cups
- Finely chopped onions - 2 tbsps
- Finely chopped tomato - 1
- Fine chopped cucumber - 1/4 cup
- Finely chopped Green chilly - 1 optional
- Finely chopped Cilantro - 1 tbsp
- Roasted or Non Roasted peanuts - 1/4 cup
- Any sprouted beans - 1/4 cup
- Lemon Juice - 2 tsps.
- Black Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Chat masala - 1/4 tsp
- Paprika or Red chilly powder - 1/4 tsp
- Dry roast the puffed rice for couple of minutes or until they are crisp .
- If the peanuts are not roasted, roast them slightly.
- Now in a big bowl add them all together except lime juice and mix well.
- Before serving add the lime juice and serve
You can add boiled tomatoes and sev also.
Adjust the masala according to your taste.
If you want it to be less spicy skip the green chilly or reduce the red chilly powder.
Make sure the murmura is crisp and crunchy
[inlinkz_linkup id=533205 mode=1]