Fall is here and which means varieties and varieties of squash in market. Regular pumpkin, acorn squash, butternut squash and many more. Pasta is one dish that all kids like and including mine too. We usually add red sauce / Tomato sauce / Marina or the white sauce or Alfredo or Pesto. Kiddo loves colors in his food so alfredo pasta becomes white pasta, pesto pasta becomes green pasta and tomato becomes of course red pasta. So how I do orange pasta now? Obviously with squash :-) I am big lover of this bottle shaped ve ggie squash. I have posted couple of soup recipes but now its time for the sauce recipe for the pasta.
My earlier squash/pumpkin recipes.
- Roasted bell pepper and Butternut Squash soup
- Butternut Squash Soup with coconut milk
- Eggless pumpkin cookie with quinoa flour
For this pasta sauce we need to cook butternut squash either in vegetable broth or plain water and puree them. The cook the puree with garlic and other italian herbs. Thats it you are done !
- Peeled and chopped Butternut Squash - 2 cups
- Water - 2 cups
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Dried Basil - 1 tsp
- Dried Oregano - 1 tsp
- Finely minced garlic - 2 tsps.
- Olive Oil - 1 tbsp.
- Pepper powder - 2 tsps adjust according to your taste
- Peel and chop the butternut squash into cubes.
- Boil the water and add those butternut squash cubes.
- Let it cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until they become tender.
- Let them cool and puree them.
- Now in pan or kadai heat the olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the minced garlic and cook for a minute.
- Now add the squash puree, salt, pepper and the dried herbs.
- Mix them well and let it cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Thats it. The pasta sauce is ready.
- Mix this with your favorite cooked pasta and enjoy.
Along with minced garlic you can also add onion.
Fresh herbs will be more flavorful. If you can get fresh herbs always go for it.