I wanted to post this recipe during Ugadi/ Kannada-Telugu New Year itself. But something or the other comes up and I never got a chance to post. Finally this blogging marathon theme helped me bring this recipe out.
Bevu in kannada means neem flower and bella is jaggery. Quoting from Wikipedia, Bevu-Bella/ Ugadi Pachadi symbolizes the fact that life is a mixture of different experiences (sadness, happiness, anger, fear, disgust, surprise), which should be accepted together and with equanimity through the New Year. The eating of a specific mixture of six tastes symbolizes the different experience.
The special mixture consists of:
- Dried Neem Flowers for bitterness signifying sadness
- Jaggery for sweetness signifying happiness
- Green chilly for its heat signifying anger
- Salt for saltiness signifying fear
- Tamarind paste/juice for its sourness signifying disgust
- Raw mango for its tang signifying surprise.
Usually we take 1/4 tsp of each and mix it with 1/4 cup of water and keep it for neivediyam and have a tbsp of it after the pooja.. Also we don’t use cut raw mangoes. We grind them and take 1/4 tsp of the grinded mixture.
Here is the Bevu Bella,
- Dried Neem Flowers - 1/4 tsp
- Jaggery - 1/4 tsp
- Green chilly - 1 slit into halves
- Salt- 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind paste/juice - 1/4 tsp or soak 1 inch piece in 1/4 of water and extract the juice
- Raw mango grated - 2 tbsp
- Dry roast the neem flowers.
- Grind the grated mango.
- Now mix all the ingredients in the tamarind water and make sure the jaggery and salt dissolves.
- Thats it the ugadi pachadi is ready.
I am not a nutritionist. The nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It varies depending upon the product types or brands.
[inlinkz_linkup id=533206 mode=1]