LET'S GET STARTED
– 1 tsp oil – 2 tbsp urad dal – ¼ tsp asafoetida heaped – 3 dried chilies or to taste – 6 grams tamarind a small gooseberry sized – 1 cup curry leaves approx 22 grams – ½ cup coconut – ½ cup water for thin consistency, add up to ¾ cup of water To Temper – 1 tsp oil – ½ tsp mustard seeds Measurement Details: 1 cup = 240ml; 1 tbsp = 15ml; 1 tsp = 15ml.
– Wash the curry leaves, spread them on a towel, and pat them dry.
– Heat a pan and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the urad dal and asafoetida.
– When it turns light golden brown, add the dried red chilies and roast until the urad dal turns deep golden brown and the chilies become crisp.
– Turn off the heat and add the curry leaves and the tamarind. Let the curry leaves wilt in the heat, and the urad dal cool down.
– After the mixture is cooled down, transfer the mixture to the mixer jar. Add salt and coconut too.
– Without adding water, pulse it coarsely.
– Then add the required water and grind it into a smooth paste.
– In a separate tempering pan, heat the remaining one tsp of oil, and when it is hot, add the mustard seeds. When it splutters, add it to the chutney. And that’s it. The curry leaves chutney is ready.