LET'S GET STARTED
– 40 phyllo cups I used mini shells – 200 grams potatoes boiled and mashed roughly – ½ cup onion chopped – 1.5 cups chickpeas cooked – 2 tbsp green chutney – 2 tbsp sweet chutney – ¼ cup pomegranate arils reserve 2 tbsps to garnish – 1.5 tsp chaat masala – ½ tsp red chili powder – 2 tbsp chopped cilantro – ½ tsp black salt – 1 tsp regular salt – ¼ cup sev or as needed Measurement Details: 1 cup = 240ml; 1 tbsp = 15ml; 1 tsp = 15ml.
– We need 1.5 cups of cooked chickpeas for this recipe. Either you can use canned chickpeas/garbanzo beans, or you can use homemade ones too. Soak 1 cup of dried chickpeas for 8 hours and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles by adding sufficient water. If using Instant Pot, cook at bean/chili mode with sufficient water. Drain the water and take the required amount of chickpeas. You can use the remaining chickpeas for making hummus, vegan bunny chow, chana masala.
– Steam 200 grams of potatoes and let it cool. Peel the skin and mash them roughly. I steamed the potatoes in my Instant Pot using the steamer basket. Pout 1.5 cups of water to the inner pot and place the tall trivet or egg rack. Now place the potatoes inside the steamer basket and place them on top of the rack. Pressure cook for 5 minutes and release the pressure quickly after 10 minutes.
– Prepare the phyllo cups/shells as per the package instructions. I used Athens mini fillo dough shells. It is pre-baked, but I prefer to bake it again to make it crisp. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, bake the shells for 3 to 5 minutes at 350 degrees F, and set them aside. Let it cool a bit. (As the quantity is more, you might need two baking trays or bake in batches)
– Parallelly, add the cooked chickpeas, mashed potatoes, onions, green chutney, sweet chutney, pomegranate arils, chaat masala, red chili powder, cilantro, black salt, and regular salt.
– Combine them all and check for salt and spices at this stage. Adjust as needed. The aloo chana chaat is ready.
– Add approx two to three tsps of the prepared aloo chana chaat inside the phyllo shells. Sprinkle the sev and serve immediately.
Hello all, I am Srividhya, the person behind Vidhya's Vegetarian Kitchen. My blog is all about vegetarian and vegan food with unique and exciting recipes from all over the world.