Rotimatic Paal Poli | Sweetened Milk Poori
Paal Poli - South Indian fame fried pooris soaked in saffron flavored sweet milk.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Semolina / Rava
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Water as required to fill the water container of rotimatic
- 2 cups Oil for frying and as needed to fill the oil container of rotimatic (rotimatic use less than 1/4tsp of oil for each puri)
For the Milk Mixture:
- 1 cup Milk
- 3 tbsp Sweet Condensed Milk
- 1/4 tsp Saffron Strands plus, to garnish
- 3 tbsps Chopped Nuts as required
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
Preparing the Milk Mixture:
Preparing the Poori:
In a wide bowl, add the APF and semolina.
Mix it thoroughly.
Transfer it to the flour container of rotimatic.
Add the salt to the water container and ensure the salt is well dissolved.
Now start the rotimatic and select the puri option and the flour. I used Aashirvaad Select.
Select your thickness, roast level, and oil. I kept everything to the minimum. You can see the setting level above.
Select the count and let the rotimatic do its magic.
Meanwhile, you can heat the oil for frying.
As purimatic pushes the pressed poori, you can fry them right away if not store them in a covered casserole and fry when required.
After frying the poori, press the puffed poori right away and drain the excess water and fold them into a semi-circle or triangle. Make sure the pooris are not super crunchy.
Assembling the Paal Poli:
Add the milk mixture to the poori half an hour to one hour before serving. We don't want over soaked pooris, so adding the milk 30 to 60 minutes before is sufficient.
Sprinkle some chopped nuts, powdered sugar and serve hot or cold.
- I went with saffron flavored milk. You can add any flavors of your choice.
- Instead of sweetened condensed milk, you can add sugar. Sweetened condensed milk adds richness to this dish.
- You can knead, press and traditionally fry the pooris too.
- Usually, we use APF for this recipe, but if you are conscious about calories, you can opt for whole wheat flour or use half and half of whole wheat flour and APF.
Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 60mg | Potassium: 156mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 70IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 2.5mg