Pearl Millet Gruel | Kambu Koozh
A healthy and filling breakfast prepared with pearl millet flour and buttermilk from scratch. A perfect summer coolant.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Resting Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 1 cup Pearl Millet Flour
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 4 cups Water
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 4 Shallots
- 3 tbsps Cilantro
Mix the bajra flour and water in a pot.
Mix well with hand and make sure there are no lumps in the bajra mixture.
Now in a medium heat start cooking this bajra-water mixture.
Keep stirring the mixture till it thickens up. It takes about 12 to 15 minutes.
Now turn off the heat and let it cool.
Once it is cooled down add the buttermilk, salt, and water if required and mix well so that the bajra mixture integrates well with the buttermilk.
Now add the chopped shallots and cilantro.
That’s it the gruel is ready. Serve cold.
- Ensure you mix the water and bajra flour thoroughly without any lumps.
- Also, keep stirring the mix until it thickens.
- Adjust the salt as per your taste and water according to your consistency preference.
- Instead of buttermilk and salt, you can add milk and sugar to make sweet porridge.
- While cooking the flour, you can add about a tsp of oil and allow it to thicken and once cooled, you can make small balls and relish it with any curry.
Calories: 239kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 770mg | Potassium: 327mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 290IU | Vitamin C: 2.6mg | Calcium: 206mg | Iron: 0.4mg