Instant Pot Kalkandu Sadam | Kalkandu Pongal
A festival special sweet rice recipe prepared with sugar candy, rice and milk, popularly known as Kalkandu Sadam or Kalkandu Pongal.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 cup Rice
- 2 cups Water
- 1/3 cup Sugar candy
- 2 cups Milk 1 cup + 1 cup
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/8 tsp Edible Camphor (a pinch)
- 2 tsps Ghee
- 1 tsp Cashews
- 1 tsp Raisins
- 1/8 tsp Saffron optional to garnish
Add the washed rice and 2 cups of water and 1 cup of milk to the instant pot.
Set it in manual mode and cook for 5 minutes and let the pressure release normally.
Open the lid and mash the rice thoroughly. (Instead of IP, you can pressure cook rice with milk and water for up to four whistles)
Now set the IP in sauce mode again and add 1 cup of milk, powdered sugar candy, cardamom powder and edible camphor.
Mix well and let it cook until sugar candy in well incorporated. It took me about 4 minutes.
Turn it off or set it to warm mode.
Now in a separate tempering pan, heat the ghee.
Once the ghee is hot, add the cashews, raisins and fry until golden brown.
Add this to the Pongal and mix well.
Garnish with saffron strands and serve hot.
- I did not add moong dal. But 2 to 3 tbsps of moong dal can be added.
- Edible camphor is optional, but that adds amazing flavors and tastes more like kovil Pongal.
- Adjust the sugar candy amount as per your preference.
- You can also add 1/4 cup of sugar candy and 1/4 cup of sugar.
Calories: 277kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 61mg | Potassium: 224mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Calcium: 155mg | Iron: 0.5mg