Vegan Mango Phirni with Flattened Rice | Vegan Mango Desserts
Vegan Mango Phirni – The vegan version of the famous Indian Kheer prepared with almond milk, sugar, flattened rice with the flavors of mango and saffron.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- Almond Milk - 1.5 cups
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Elaichi powder - 1/2 tsp
- Saffron - 1 pinch
- Mango Puree - 1 cup
- Thick Flatten Rice / Poha / Aval - 3/4 cup
- Lukewarm Water – 3 tbsps + 2 Tbsps cold water
- Nuts for garnishing.
Prep – Work
Wash and soak the poha for about 5 minutes.
Add the saffron to the warm water and set aside.
Wash and peel the mango and chop the pulp. Puree this by adding 2 to 3 tbsps of water and set aside 1 cup of puree.
In a heavy bottom vessel, add the sugar and almond milk and simmer it over a low flame until the sugar dissolves.
Once the sugar is dissolved, add the washed and soaked poha and cardamom powder.
Let the flattened rice cook over low flame. It will take about 5 to 7 minutes and when the milk mix becomes frothy like below, turn off the heat. We don’t want the poha to lose its shape.
Let it this mix mixture cool. As the mixture cools, it will thicken up.
When it comes to room temperature, add the saffron water and mango puree one by one and mix them gently.
That’s it. Mango Phirni is ready.
Garnish it with nuts or saffron strands and serve cold.
- If you soak the poha for more than 5 minutes, make sure you do not cook more than 3 to 5 minutes over stop top. It is better to drain the water after 5 minutes.
- I would recommend thick poha for this kheer. If you are using thin poha, then after washing the poha drain the water and do not soak them.
- You can replace almond milk with your preferred non-dairy milk or regular milk.
- Add the mango puree after the milk mixture is cooled down to room temperature.
- Adjust the sugar as per your preference.
- The kheer thickens up as it cools down. After adding the puree, if you prefer thin consistency then add more milk.