Mushroom Paniyaram | Mushroom Kuzhi Paniyaram
Lunch Box special - Kid’s friendly Tamil Nadu Delicacy - Mild and delicate, protein rich Mushroom Kuzhi Paniyaram.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
- Idli/Dosa batter - 2 cups
- Brown Bella Mushrooms - 5 oz
- Chopped Onion - 1/2 cup
- Chopped Cilantro - 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves - 5 to 7
- Oil - 2 tsps + required oil/ghee for preparing paniyarams
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad Dal - 1 tsp
- Channa Dal - 1 tsp
- Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
- Dagad phool powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Pepper powder - 1/2 Tsp
Prep - Work
Clean and chop the bella mushrooms finely.
Chop the onion, cilantro and set aside.
Make sure you the idli/dosa batter is at room temperature.
Preparing the Mushroom Masala
Heat the kadai and add oil.
Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal and curry leaves.
As the mustard seeds, start to splutter, add the chopped onions and cook until translucent.
Then add the chopped mushroom and all the spice powders (garam masala, pepper powder, dagad phool powder) and salt.
Mix it well and cover and cook for two minutes. Do not add water, as mushroom oozes out water.
Then remove the lid and cook until all the water evaporates.
Finally, add the chopped cilantro and mix well.
Let this mix cool a bit.
Preparing the Paniyarams
Add the prepared mushroom masala to the paniyaram batter and mix well.
Heat the appe/paniyaram pan and add oil to each mold.
Once it is hot, fill 3/4 of the mold with the mushroom masala batter and let it cook for a minute.
Using the paniyaram stick, flip the paniyarams and let it cook for 45 seconds to 1 minute.
Then carefully remove it from appe pan. Prepare paniyarams in a similar way with the remaining batter.
Serve hot with chutney or with ketchup. ;-)
- I did not add any red chili powder. If required and if your kid likes the spicy flavor, add a green chili or red chili powder as per your preference.
- Dagad Phool Powder adds a subtle flavor, but if you cannot source it, add more garam masala.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your preference.
- This paniyaram takes a bit longer to cook when compared to the regular paniyaram. After flipping and after 45 secs, you can insert a toothpick to check if it's cooked.
- I used brown bella mushrooms, but you can use white also.