Cashew Garlic Pickle
An instant spicy and tangy pickle prepared with raw garlic and cashews. This is a popular recipe from Andhra and Telengana.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1/3 cup Broken Cashew Pieces
- 1/2 cup Garlic scant
- 1 tsp Methi Powder / Fenugreek Powder
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsps Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsps Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard powder
- 2 tbsps Oil - 2 tbsps
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 tsp Channa Dal
- 2 Red Chilly broken into pieces
- Curry leaves – few 5 to 6 leaves
Prep – Work:
Squeeze about ¼ cup of lemon juice from1 big lemon or 2 medium sized lemons.
If you don’t have mustard seed powder, you coarsely dry grind 2 tsps of mustard seeds and set aside 1 tsp for this recipe.
Peel the garlic skin and set aside.
In a wide glass bowl or heat-resistant bowl, add the lemon juice.
To that, add the red chili powder, mustard powder, methi powder and salt.
Mix them well and make sure there aren’t any lumps.
Now add the cashew and garlic and mix them well and ensure the garlic and cashews are coated with the pickle mix.
In a separate tempering bowl, heat the oil.
Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, broken red chilly ad curry leaves.
As they start to splutter, add this tadka to the pickle and mix well.
That’s it. Spicy garlic cashew pickle is ready. Serve hot with rice.
- If you don’t prefer raw garlic cashew, Dry roast cashew without any oil until golden brown Saute garlic in about 1 tsp of oil until it is golden brown. Add these to the pickle mix.
- Adjust salt and spice as per the sourness of the lemon juice and also as per your preference.
- I did not add any asafetida here. But about ½ tsp can be added. Whole cashews can be used.
- As I had cashew pieces in my pantry, I went ahead with that.
- Instead of lemon juice, tamarind juice can be used too. But I haven’t tried this recipe with tamarind juice.