Ulutham Paruppu Sadham | Black Urad Dal Pulav
A simple and a nutritious pulav with black urad dal, rice and coconut milk made in Instant Pot. Here is my take on the traditional Ulutham Sadham / Black Gram Lentils Rice without onion and garlic.
Prep Time6 hrs
Cook Time20 mins
Soaking Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 20 mins
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1 black-stone flower
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 green chilies slit into two
- 1/4 cup mint roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup black urad dal washed and soaked for 6 hours at least.
- 3/4 cup rice washed and soaked for 10 minutes and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fat-free coconut milk
Wash the black gram and soak it for atleast 6 to 8 hours and drain the water.
Wash and soak the basmati rice for 10 to 20 minutes but not more than that.
If preparing fresh coconut milk, make it and set aside 1 cup of thin/second/diluted coconut milk. I used a store-bought one. Make sure you shake the can well before using and set aside 1 cup of coconut milk. If the store-bought coconut milk is thick, dilute it with water as required.
Set the Instant pot in the saute mode and when the display shows hot, add the oil.
After 30 seconds, add the fennel seeds, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, black-stone flower, and the slit green chilies — Fry for 20 seconds.
Then add the drained black gram dal and the chopped mint and cilantro. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
Then add the rice, coconut milk, salt, and the water. Mix gently.
Press the cancel button and then close the Instant Pot lid and make sure the vent is in the sealing position. Press the “Rice” preset button and when the cooking is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally.
Carefully open the lid after releasing the pressure and allow the pulav to cool for 5 minutes. Then fluff it up with a fork or spatula.
I served this with the tomato raita, but you can serve this with any korma or onion raita.
- Make sure to soak the dal for atleast 6 hours. Check the post for soaking time and cooking time details.
- Adjust the salt and spices according to your preference. You can include onion and garlic as well. Saute the onion and garlic after frying the whole spices and before adding the dal until the onion is soft and tender.
- You can use split black gram lentils also but no need to soak for more than two hours.
Calories: 289kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 997mg | Potassium: 67mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 185IU | Vitamin C: 5.1mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 2.5mg