Delhi Veg Biryani | Degi Biryani
Delhi Veg Biryani - The vegetarian version of the famous degi biryani with vegetables and sela basmati rice from the capital city of India - Delhi.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Soaking Time20 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cinnamon
- 1 black cardamom
- 3 green cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger sliced
- 2 green chilies slit into two
- 2 to mato finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup mint chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsps salt
- 1.5 tsp achari ghost masala I used Shan Brand.
- 1/2 cup cabbage shredded
- 1/2 cup carrot cut into rounds
- 1/4 cup peas if using frozen thaw to room temperature
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/8 tsp Kewra essence
- 1 cup sela basmati rice soaked for 20 minutes and drained
- 1.25 cups water
Heat the pressure pan or cooker and add the oil.
When the oil is hot, add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon, black cardamom, green cardamom, and cloves — Fry for 30 seconds.
Add the chopped onion, green chili, and ginger. Saute until the onion turns translucent.
Then add the tomatoes, mint leaves and cilantro. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or until the mint leaves wilt.
Now add all the spices including salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and achari ghost masala. Mix and cook for about two to three minutes.
Add all the vegetables - cabbage, carrot, and peas.
Then add the yogurt and kewra essence.
Now add the rice and water and mix thoroughly.
Close the pressure cooker and put the weight on and cook for one whistle.
Allow the pressure to release naturally and open the lid.
Let the biryani to cool for 5 minutes and fluff it with a fork. Serve hot with raita.
- Adjust salt and spice according to your preference.
- Instead of sela basmati rice, you can use regular basmati rice as well.
- If you have green chili or mixed vegetable pickle, then add a tbsp of the pickle instead of achari masala. Also, reduce the amount of oil to 3 tbsps.
Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 1274mg | Potassium: 226mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3065IU | Vitamin C: 15.2mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 2mg