Instant Pot Brown Rice Pilaf
An easy-peasy mildly spiced vegan pilaf with brown rice and vegetables made in Instant Pot. A perfect pair for all the curries.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 tbsp corn oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 green chili slit into half
- 2 cardamon
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 tbsp frozen corn
- 2 tbsp frozen peas
- 4 mint leaves torn into small pieces
- 1 cup Long-Grain Brown Rice
- 1 3/4 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp salt
Prep - Work:
Wash the rice and drain the water thoroughly. No need to soak the rice.
Slit the green chili into two.
Thaw the frozen corn and peas and bring it to room temperature. I soaked it in water for 15 minutes and drained the water.
Press the saute button, and the display shows HOT, add the oil.
After 30 to 45 seconds, add the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, bay leaf, green chili, cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon. Mix it and fry for 20 seconds.
Then add the corn and peas and gently mix. Then add the mint leaves and stir for 30 seconds.
At this stage add the rinsed long-grain brown rice followed by 1.75 cups of water.
Add the salt and mix thoroughly. Press the cancel button.
Close the Instant Pot lid and make sure the vent is in the sealing position.
Press the manual button and set the time to 25 minutes on high pressure. After cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally.
Open the lid and gently fluff the rice. As the rice cools down, all the moisture (if any) will be absorbed.
- I did not include any onion or garlic. But you can add 1/4 cup of chopped onion, and two garlic cloves finely chopped for this rice measure.
- Adjust the salt and green chili according to your preference.
- Adjust the water and cooking time according to the rice variety and also as per your personal texture preference.
- You can add other veggies too like carrots and potatoes. But do not add more than 1/4 cup of vegetables.
Calories: 226kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 339mg | Potassium: 163mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2% | Vitamin C: 6.6% | Calcium: 2.6% | Iron: 7.9%