Barnyard Millet Neer Dosa
Barnyard Millet Neer Dosa is a soft and spongy savory crepe prepared with barnyard millet. This famous Mangalorean/Tulu Nadu neer dosa requires no fermentation.
Prep Time6 hrs 40 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Soaking Time6 hrs
Total Time7 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 8 yields
- 1 cup Barnyard Millet
- 1.5 cups Water 1.25 to 1.5 cups
- 1/4 cup Coconut grated
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 8 tsp Oil as required for preparing dosa
Preparing the batter:
Wash and soak the barnyard millet for at least 6 hours. Overnight soaking is preferable.
Drain the water and grind it into a smooth paste along with coconut by adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water.
Take this batter in a bowl and add the salt. Rinse the mixer jar with remaining water and add it to the mixture.
The batter should be very thin and watery.
Preparing the Dosas:
Heat the dosa pan. I used my cast iron tawa. Ensure it is seasoned well.
Pour the batter from outwards toward the inner side of the tawa, similar to rava dosa. You don't need to spread it like regular dosa.
If there are gaps, fill it in with the batter.
Spread some oil around the edges and cover the dosa and cook for about a minute.
Now remove the lid and flip it and cook for 5 to 7 seconds. You can make the triangular fold either on the tawa or take it out on the plate and then make the fold or relish as is.
Similarly, prepare dosa with remaining batter.
Serve hot with chutney or with sambar.
- Make sure the batter is watery and in a pouring consistency for the soft, spongy and lacy dosa.
- Depending upon the millet quality, adjust the water. But you at least need 1.5 cups for 1 cup of the barnyard millet.
- Adjust the salt according to your preference.
- Coconut is optional, but it adds a unique flavor.
Calories: 139kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 222mg | Potassium: 8mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1.5mg