Instant Pot Kerala Parippu Curry
Kerala Parippu Curry - A delicious and a simple dal prepared in the instant pot with small yellow lentils or the moong dal and with the fresh ground coconut-cumin paste.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 5 Curry Leaves
- 3 Shallots
- 2 Red Chillies
- 1/4 cup Coconut
- 1 Green Chili
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 3 tbsps Water
Peel and chop the shallots into small pieces.
If using frozen coconut, then thaw the coconut to room temperature. If using fresh coconut, grate the required amount.
Wash the moong dal and add it to the Instant Pot along with 1.5 cups of water and turmeric powder.
Set it to manual mode and pressure cook for 5 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally. (If using a pressure cooker, cook the dal by adding water and turmeric powder for three whistles)
Then carefully open the lid and mash the dal.
Now set the IP in saute mode and add the remaining one cup of water and salt.
Mix well and allow it to simmer.
Meanwhile grind the coconut, green chili and cumin into a smooth paste by adding 3 tbsps of water.
Add this fresh ground paste to the simmering dal and mix well. Allow it simmer for just two minutes and set the IP to keep warm mode or turn off the heat.
In a tempering pan, heat the coconut oil and the ghee. When they melt, add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, chopped shallots and red chilies.
Let the mustard seeds splutter and then add this tempering to the dal and mix well.
That’s it. The Kerala Parippu Curry is ready. Serve hot with rice or any Indian Flatbread.
- If you want to keep the dal vegan, then skip the ghee and add one more tsp of coconut oil.
- You can use, 2 to 3 tbsp of thinly sliced onion instead of shallots. But shallots add a unique flavor. So please try not to skip that.
- You can use the fresh coconut masala for any other dal recipe, or you can replace moong dal with your favorite lentils or legumes.
- Adjust the salt, spice, and water according to your preference.
- If you want the dal to be thin in soup consistency, then add one more cup of water.
Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 651mg | Potassium: 393mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 110IU | Vitamin C: 38.2mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 2.1mg