Green Peas Kurma
A simple and a delicious kurma with green peas with the flavor of whole garam masala spices and coconut. A perfect side for roti, poori, veg brinji & biryani.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 cup Peas I used frozen peas
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp Sugar optional
- 1 Star Anise
- 2.5 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Cilantro finely chopped
- 1.5 tsps Salt
- To Grind:
- 1/2 cup Grated Coconut
- 1/2 Medium Size onion When chopped, approx 2/3 cups
- 3 Green Cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1 inch Kalpaasi / Dagad Phool / Black Stone Flower – a small piece
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tbsp Poppy Seeds – 1 tbsp
- 3 tbsps Roasted Gram Dal / Pottukadalai – 3 tbsps
- 3 Green chilies
Chop the onion roughly.
If using frozen coconut then thaw it to room temperature.
Grind all the ingredients given under to grind with ½ cup of water.
Rinse the mixer jar with 1/2 more cup of water and set it aside.
Heat the kadai and add 1 tbsp of oil.
Add the star anise and bay leaf and let it fry for 30 seconds.
Now add the ground masala and cook it for three minutes over medium heat.
After three minutes add the 1/2 cup of water with which we rinsed the mixer jar.
Add the salt and sugar and mix well. Cook again for three more minutes stirring it for every one minute. We need to ensure the raw smell of the onion and masalas goes away.
At this stage add the peas and gently mix.
Now add the remaining 1.5 cups and mix thoroughly.
Simmer this for five minutes and then add the chopped cilantro and bring it to one boil or simmer again for three minutes.
And that's it. Turn off the heat and the kurma is ready.
Serve hot with roti or poori or rice.
- Adjust salt and spices as per your preference. You can add potatoes and other veggies, but I just kept it simple with peas.
- Instead of chutney dal / pottukadalai, you can use cashews, and that makes this kurma rich and great for parties as well.
- The kurma thickens as it cools down. Adjust the water according to your consistency.
- The Black stone flower is optional, but if you can source it, please include it. It adds a unique flavor and if you can powder you can add up to 1/2 tsp.
Calories: 191kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 1002mg | Potassium: 255mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 275IU | Vitamin C: 20.6mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 2mg