No Onion No Garlic Kadamba Sambar Sadam
Kadamba Sambar Sadam, no onion no garlic kadamba sadam is South Indian delicacy and the perfect medley of vegetables, rice, lentil, spices and curry leaves.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
- ⅔ cup Rice
- ⅓ cup Toor Dal
- 2 tsps Tamarind Paste if using tamarind small gooseberry size ball
- 2 ½ cups Water
- Jaggery a small piece
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ cup Chopped Red Pumpkin
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 cup Mixed Vegetables of your choice
To roast and grind:
- 1 tsp Channa Dal
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 3 Red Chillies
- ½ tsp Black Pepper Corns
- 1 strand Curry leaves
- 2 tsps Oil/Ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- ½ tsp Asafoetida / Hing
Prep - Work:
Chop all the veggies and set aside.
If using tamarind, soak them in water and extract about 1 cup of tamarind juice. In this case, add only 1.5 cups of water as you will be adding 1 cup of this tamarind juice.
Wash the toor dal and rice and soak it in water for 10 to 15 minutes.
Preparing the dry masala:
Heat the kadai and add all the ingredients given under ‘to roast’ and dry roast it until nice aroma comes out and channa dal turns light brown.
Let it cool down and grind into a fine powder without adding any water.
Preparing Kadamba Saadam
Heat pressure pan or pressure cooker and add oil.
Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, fenugreek, and asafoetida.
When the mustard seeds start to splutter, add the chopped tomatoes, salt, and turmeric and saute for a couple of minutes.
Now add the other veggies mix well.
At this stage, add the fresh masala, tamarind paste, and jaggery.
Now add the toor dal and rice. Add the 2.5 cups of water and mix well.
Check for salt and spice at this stage and if required add more salt, and for the spice, you can add little sambar powder.
Pressure cook for about 3 to 4 whistles.
Let the pressure release and mix the rice. It has to be mushy and mix it nicely.
Kadamba sadam is ready. Serve hot with chips or papad or raita.
- I would recommend not to skip curry leaves, but if you can't source you can ignore.
- We need more water for this recipe, as the rice has to be soft and mushy. I went with 2.5 cups of water for just 1 cup of rice and toor dal mix. But you can adjust as per your preference.
- You can add shallots or regular onion along with other vegetables.
- Tomatoes are not mandatory, but when I skip onion, I always add tomato.
- Adjust salt and spice as per your preference.
Calories: 182kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1213mg | Potassium: 504mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 4083IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 2mg