Idli Manchurian - deep-fried rice and lentil pancakes/idli pieces tossed in sweet and spicy Manchurian sauce.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
For the Sauce:
- Onion - 1/2
- Chopped Bell Pepper I used green and orange - 1/4 cup
- Green Onions - 2
- Peanut Oil - 2 tsps
- Ketchup - 1/4 cup
- Green Chili - 2
- Garlic Cloves - 2
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce - 2 tsp
- Vinegar - 1 tsp
- Siracha Sauce - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
Heat the oil for frying. When the oil is hot, carefully drop the idli pieces and fry until golden brown.
Keep them in a tissue paper to remove the excess oil.
Now, heat a pan or kadai and add the peanut oil.
When the oil is hot, add the chopped garlic and slit green chilies.
Let it brown and then add the green onions and the regular onion.
Cook until they turn translucent.
Then add the bell peppers and cook for a couple of minutes.
Next, add the sriracha, ketchup, vinegar and soy sauce.
Mix them and then add sugar and salt.
Now add the fried idli pieces and combine them all. Ensure all the idli pieces are coated well with the sauce.
Let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes and turn off the heat.
Yummy idli Manchurian is ready. I let it cook and pack this as is. This obviously doesn't need any side dishes.
- Instead of deep frying, you can shallow fry the idli pieces.
- I added both sriracha and green chili. Instead, you can increase the amount of sriracha or add a mix of sriracha and green chili sauce.
- Sugar adds a delicate balance, hence I would recommend adding it.
- Adjust the salt and spices as per your preference.
- You can replace idli with paneer too.