Fried Rice | Vegetable Fried Rice
This famous Indo-Chinese dish is an appetizing medley of cooked rice and vegetables stir-fried together in a simple sauce.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
- Green Onions - 3
- Chopped Green Capsicum - 1 tbsp
- Chopped Celery - 1 tbsp
- Chopped Celery Leaves - 1 tbsp
- Chopped Carrot - 1 tbsp
- Chopped Brussel Sprouts - 1 tbsp
- Garlic Clove - 1
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce - 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Peanut Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Pepper - 1 tsp
- Rice - 1.5 cups
- Water - 3 cups
Prep - Work:
Chop all the vegetables into small pieces and set aside 1 tbsp.
Discard the top part of the green onions and cut the tender edible piece.
Wash the rice and cook in your preferred way. You can even use leftover rice for this. Ensure the rice is not hot.
Heat the wok or kadai ( I used my copperware for this) and when it is hot add the oil. Make sure you cook over a high flame. We are going to flash cook all the veggies. Hence high heat is vital.
Add the finely chopped garlic and let it brown up.
Then add the green onions and cook for a minute.
Next, add all the veggies and cook for a couple of minutes.
We need the veggies to be crunchy, so after two minutes add the sauces and condiments. So add the salt, sugar, soy sauce, pepper and stir well.
Add the cooked rice and mix them.
Cook the combined rice and veggie over high heat for a couple of minutes and that's it. Turn off the heat.
Serve the fried rice with your favorite gravy or ketchup.
- Oil Usage: I would highly recommend using an oil having a high smoke point like peanut oil or sesame oil or corn oil as we stir-fry over high heat.
- Do not add too much of veggies, but a little quantity of different variety will add color and flavor.
- Make sure the veggies are soft but crunchy. Do not overcook.
- Also, cook after adding rice. That helps a lot in the grainy texture.
- You can use any variety rice. I used basmati for this.
- Use veggies of your choice and as always adjust salt and pepper as per your preference and as per the soy sauce usage.
- I would recommend low sodium soy sauce, but if its hard to source, you can use regular soy sauce.
- Make sure you cook over a high flame. We are going to flash cook all the veggies. Hence high heat is vital.