Vegan Turmeric and Saffron Rice | Rice Cooker Recipes
Simple turmeric rice tempered with cumin seeds and with the mild flavors of saffron. A flavorful rice recipe to serve along with curries.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 1.5 cups Basmati Rice
- 3 cups Water 2.75 cups + 1/4 cup
- 1/4 tsp Saffron a pinch or about 6-7 strands
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 tsps Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Raisins
- 1 tbsp Cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Sugar
Wash the basmati rice and soak it in water for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Microwave 1/4 cup of water and add the saffron strands and let it soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
After soaking, drain the water and add the rice to the rice cooker.
Remove the saffron strands from the water (you can use it for garnishing) and set aside the saffron water.
In a separate tadka pan, heat the oil and once the oil is hot add the cumin seeds and as they start to crackle, turn the heat off and add the turmeric powder and mix well.
Add this tempering to the rice.
Now add the 2.75 cups of water and the saffron soaked water, salt and sugar. Mix well and let the rice cooker do its job.
When the cooking is complete, let it cool and transfer it to a plate and using the fork fluff the rice.
Finally add the raisins and chopped cilantro and mix.
Garnish it with soaked saffron and serve hot with your favorite gravy.
- If you are not particular about vegan, you can use ghee for tempering.
- I used 1:2 as my rice to water ratio. This ratio depends upon the quality and the variety of rice too. I used basmati rice for this recipe. Also, I used 2.75 cups of water + ¼ cup of saffron water which is 3 cups together for my 1.5 cups of rice.
- Adding sugar and dry fruits are optional, and as the gravy contains salt, I added a small amount of salt. Adjust these as per your preference.
- You can add nuts(Cashews, almonds) also to this recipe. You can roast them separately in 1 tsp of oil and add it to the cooked rice.
Calories: 300kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 306mg | Potassium: 128mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 15IU | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1.4mg