Shikanji | Indian Style Lemonade
Shikanji | Shikanjvi - Sweet and Spicy Indian Style Lemonade
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time10 mins
- 1 Lemon I got a little over 3 tbsps. Of lemon juice
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground pepper optional
- Ice Cubes – as required
- 2.5 cups Water
- 5 Mint leaves optional
Squeeze the lemon and extract the juice.
In a Mason jar or jug, which is convenient for mixing, add the lemon juice, sugar, black salt, cumin powder, ice cubes, water and mint leaves.
Mix them nicely. If you are using a mason jar, close the lid, and you can even shake it like in kulukki sarbath.
Check the taste and adjust the sugar and spices if required.
Add more ice cubes and garnish it with mint leaves. Serve cold.
- The sugar and spice entirely depend upon the sourness of the lemon. So adjust the sugar, salt as per your preference.
- You can add chopped ginger and ground pepper too.
- Instead of black salt and cumin powder, you add jal jeera masala or even chaat masala.
- For additional flavors, you can include rose syrup or any other flavored sarbath concentrates.
- Mint leaves are optional, and also you can add cucumber slices and make it like a detox drink.
- You can skip ice cubes and prepare this shikanji and refrigerate it. You can add ice cubes just before serving or skip it as per your preference. The spices tend to get settled in the bottom, so mix nicely before serving.
Calories: 90kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 599mg | Potassium: 74mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 105IU | Vitamin C: 29.5mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 0.8mg