Vegan Green Papaya and Green Mango Salad | Thai Special
Crunchy and delicious vegan version of the Thai Green Papaya and Green Mango salad with simple tamarind base dressing.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
- Green Papaya Juliennes - 1 cup
- Green Mango Juliennes - 1/2 cup
- Carrot Juliennes - 1 tbsp
- Crushed Peanuts - 2 tbsp
- Toasted Black Sesame Seeds - 1 tsp to garnish
For the Dressing
- Garlic pod - 1
- Tamarind Paste - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Thai dried red chili - 1
- Jaggery - 1 tbsp heaped
- Water - 2 tbsps
Prep - Work
Wash the peel the skin of green papaya, green mango, and carrot.
Using a julienne peeler, shred them into thin julinennes and set aside the required part. I used half of a raw mango and raw papaya and 1/4 of a carrot.
Chop/crush the peanuts roughly. I had roasted peanuts in hand. So crushed them roughly. Raw peanuts can be used too.
Preparing the dressing
Blend the garlic, salt, Thai chili, jaggery with 2 tbsp of water and in a coffee grinder or blender. Grind them coarsely like below and set aside.
- Carrots are entirely optional. I just added a tbsp for the color.
- I used up the entire dressing for this salad. You can adjust the dressing ingredients and the amount of dressing as per your preference.
- Soy sauce can be included and in that case, go with less amount of salt.
- Both black and white sesame seeds can be used for garnishing.
- Make sure you add the dressing just before serving. If not the salad would become soggy.